Friday, September 18, 2009

Ice Cold

I walked with Lily to the pond today. I was warmed up from the walk so I jumped in too. The water was ice cold. I didn't linger. When I was about to put my sneakers back on Lily ran ahead following a scent and I dropped my back pack and ran after her barefoot! Luckily she had stopped to sniff something so I was able to catch up with her. On the way home Lily rolled on the neighbors freshly-cut grass and it made her turn grass-stain green. The neighbor said he lost his yellow Lab after 13 years and he's afraid to get attached again. I said that's what life's about; love and loss. A neighbor came over to ask if we heard about the recent death of the local priest. He jumped from the Newport Bridge. He had been in Viet Nam and Iraq and had brought the local church out of financial trouble. I said I'm sorry. When I passed Armand's house he shouted "Did you go swimming?" Yes I said, and it was cold! He laughed. This is the best time of year if you like contrasts. And I do.

No comments: