Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Magenta

I've discovered I love beets. As a painter I find magenta food particularly amazing to eat! Borscht, along with cabbage, potatoes, kasha, sourdough breads, and beans are my heritage foods. Although I didn't grow up eating them, I've been gravitating towards them for decades along with plain yogurt and accordion music! My Russian, Polish and Hungarian Jewish ancestors would drink clear hot tea in a glass, sipping it through sugar cubes held in their mouths! I can't help thinking these cravings are coded messages deep within me that have risen to the surface like rocks in the spring soil.

1 comment:

howard t glasser said...

Me too --
Mine too --
Gran'pa Paul -- hot water -- sucked from a saucer -- with lots of noise -- thru the sugar cube held in his teeth --
And Gran'ma's beet soup -- the summer soup with green union -- cucumber and hard boiled egg -- sourcream -- I called it delux if the cold soup had a hot boiled potato -- But the winter soup -- with cabbage and short ribs or flonkin -- sweet and sour -- I think
Howard