Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Finger Food

In the cemetery I passed a marble Mary statue, palms up with the thumbs broken off. The Jesus statue was missing all of his fingers when we first moved here. The kids would play touch football all around him on the All Saints Church lawn. Now there's a harlequin Great Dane guarding the statue, frustrated by his postage stamp-sized yard, and Jesus has his fingers again. Why didn't the church get a Saint Bernard?

I swam in the river today. I saw our Giguere & Marchand oil man working at one of the houses near the swim spot and said hi. He smiled and said, "You're a long way from home!" He asked me if my dog would eat a biscuit. I laughed and said, "Is the Pope Catholic?" The oil man gave me two large Milkbone dog biscuits to give Lily. She inhaled one; the other I hid in my hand for bribing in case she started to wander while I was swimming. When we got to the river, Lily swam out to fetch a stick while I put on my bathing suit. Before I jumped in I put the dog biscuit in the crook of a nearby sapling. Our swim was quick, I got changed, and we headed home. When I got home I remembered the dog biscuit in the tree! Now some raccoon is having a great snack.

No comments: