Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Late January Wednesday

Today I walked with Lily through a neighborhood I don't know well. I walked down a street that looped right back to where it started. I didn't mind. It's nice to know I don't know every street in my city. I saw an inside-out yellow umbrella on the frozen pond at Cass Park. It made me laugh. The sun was out. I saw a bunch of guys shooting hoops, I could hear from their voices that they were having fun. I saw a young couple both dressed in bright turquoise pants and shirts. I saw a woman smoking and texting while driving, curving toward me, and I had to wonder if she was an octopus in another life.

When I got home I simmered the kidney beans that had soaked overnight. When they were cooked I decided to add a huge onion I chopped up and a bunch of fresh garlic cloves, and then I added a couple of cans of diced tomatoes. I found some leftover kale stock in the fridge from last week and added it too. Then I threw in some frozen corn. I added more olive oil, salt and pepper, and let it simmer into a delicious soup. Meanwhile my sourdoughs were rising next to the boiler. The first rising took 15 hours, overnight! This is what develops the taste, the slow rising! I let them bake, filling the house with their aroma, while we listened to our President on the radio.

No comments: