Friday, January 29, 2010

To The Library

The sun was out and the wind was whipping. It was 17 degrees! I had to steel myself to get out there with Lily, but the library had just told me a book I ordered has just arrived. Okay I can make it to the library on foot, right? We got to the corner and my fingers were numb and my eyeballs ached and teared with the cold wind. I pulled my turquoise scarf over my mouth and nose which made my breath fog up my sunglasses. I wanted to howl every time the wind came at me! I told myself I could stop in to the Castle Luncheonette or the bank to warm myself for a moment. Just knowing that I could made me feel warmer. I could see the library off in the distance and I thought I only need to get to there. My black fleece hat flew off my head. It rolled under a gigantic rusty yellow construction crane. I chased after it and tumbled in the snow I got to catch it before it rolled out of reach. But sure enough we made it. The momentary warmth of the library and the kindness of the front desk ladies was all I needed to make the trip home.

No comments: