Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sleepy Snow

Today the snow came down in large flakes clinging to the trees and bushes and my eyelashes but not the road which remained black. I decided to walk into Oak Hill Cemetery for a change and the trees were magnificent. All the snow was blowing from the south so the trees had what looked like white shadows and outlines on their dark trunks and branches--like a black and white photo negative. I climbed up the hills with Lily but when I saw the caretaker picking up sticks I turned back because I was in a solitary mood. I walked down the hill to the street and walked to the other cemetery. I felt comforted by the open space; snow and stones with a view of the frozen reservoir. Then I decided I was ready to return home. After I got home, I fell asleep sitting with my notebook in my lap, and woke when my pen fell out of my hand.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You write the best descriptions of your walks about town. A genre all its own. Micro-travel journalism? Pocket walking tours? Don't ever stop, Emily!