Friday, February 12, 2010

Maintenance

Yesterday afternoon I heard the loud hum of a truck engine out front. I went to the window and saw a towtruck picking up a smashed dark blue car. I hadn't heard the collision, but accidents do happen at the intersection near our house. Later that night we went to the park on the way to the supermarket and Lily ran herself silly. It was dark but the snow had enough glow from the nearby streetlights. I knew she needed to get her ya-ya's out because we hadn't had a huge walk during the day.

This morning when I took Lily out, we approached the corner near our house. The city traffic division guys were putting up a brand new stop sign at the intersection. The sign must have been torn down in yesterday's collision. Lily and I went for the big walk down to the reservoir. The sun was out and it was slightly less cold than it has been lately. I approached the 6 inch diameter hole in the street that I pass every day. Just then a Blackstone public works truck pulled up in front of me. The driver got out and looked at the hole. I knew that the cast-iron cover for the waterpipe hole was sitting nearby on someone's front lawn, so I pointed it out to him. He retrieved the cap and tried to fit it to the pipe but it wouldn't sit right, so he rummaged around in the back of his truck for another cap. I kept on walking, but I could hear the clanging of his trying to fit the cap to the pipe as Lily and I entered the park.

No comments: