Monday, February 15, 2010

Muddy Monday

I walked through the cemetery today. I often feel an immediate sense of calm stepping off the packed neighborhood street and into the expanse of open space. I love walking along the back path where I can see Harris Pond off in the distance. Today I saw three people out on the ice on the far side of the frozen pond. Two of them were wearing black and one was wearing white. The person in white was almost invisible against the frozen lake. As I walked along the street I saw that the three figures were girls skating. They shouted hello as Lily and I approached. I said hello back, realizing that they must have recognized me and Lily, but they were still too far away for me to see their faces.

When I got to the park Lily ran in the ballfield, chasing a tennis ball and getting spattered with mud on her belly and legs. She was having a blast. A car pulled into the parking lot and four young kids jumped out. Three of them ran over to the circular playground toy that spins around when pushed. The man who accompanied them propelled the spinning thing by grabbing hold of it and running alongside of it. The kids were loving it! Two of them lay on their backs looking up at the sky, their little hooded jackets open and their bellies exposed. I felt vertigo just watching. I bet those kids are his grandchildren, I thought. Then Lily and I walked home. When we got inside I took a washcloth, wet it with warm water, and wiped the mud off of her belly and legs and elbows and paws. She loved it!

No comments: