Friday, February 05, 2010

A Friday

While walking home from the library a gigantic tractor-trailer stopped next to me on Clinton Street. The driver was asking me for directions. I was shouting over the roar of the engine and pointing while standing on tiptoe in order to see him. Then, crossing through the Burger King parking lot I spotted a twin of Lily sitting in the front passenger seat of a green mini van wearing a doggie seatbelt. The dog looked at Lily with the same enthusiasm as Lily looked at him - it was as if they were looking in a mirror. Then heading down Social Street I saw a gigantic red mop-head in the driveway of the car wash. There were three bright yellow sawhorses lined up beside two white repair trucks. I noticed more parts - red, white, and blue lengths of floppy felt alongside long metal rods and oily metal gears. The carwash was dismantled for repairs. It was a Friday, and I could feel the hum of the day as we walked along main street.

1 comment:

shegoulis said...

Em,
Your mini-memoirs are inspiring to me, both as a teacher and (kind of) writer. Know that even though we don't talk much these days, I enjoy reading up about your art, your life.

Shelagh