Thursday, February 04, 2010

Sunshine

Today I walked down Cass Ave with Lily. Even though it was cold and windy the sun felt good. I saw a woman standing in the thin strip of midday shade cast by a lamp post. She stood waiting for a bus, hatless, wearing a long black dress coat while smoking a cigarette. I smiled at her and said if you take one step forward you will be in the sun. She did and I said doesn't that feel better? Yes, she said. We laughed and I kept on walking. I met an ancient Boston Terrier with one pale blue eye and one brown eye who greeted Lily cautiously as we walked past his driveway. I saw a Woonsocket Highway Department dumptruck pulled over on the side of Diamond Hill Road. The men were filling a pothole with what looked like a shovel full of glistening oreo-cookie crumbs. Then our oil man passed us and tooted his horn. It felt good to walk in my city, in the sunshine.

No comments: