Monday, February 22, 2010

Camouflage

I was walking with Lily today and on the way home I took the path through the woods. I was warmed up but I had to take off my gloves, sunglasses, and hat to remove my turtleneck scarf. When I went to put my sunglasses back on I realized they were no longer in my hand, so I turned around and started to retrace my steps. Everywhere I looked were sienna colored oak leaves and dark twigs. My sunglasses completely blended in! I thought about those puzzles where you try to find a creature that is camouflaged in an environment. I've had these sunglasses for 22 years. They have a nice shape, and I like to wear them in winter because the lenses are not too dark.

I scanned the ground imagining all the positions the sunglasses could have landed in, but all I saw were leaves and twigs. I walked up and down the path a few times, and then there they were, folded, with their lenses facing down. I picked them up, put them on, and smiled .When Lily and I got to the fenced-in baseball field I let her run. Lily was wild over all the spring smells, looking for stuff to scavenge. She found a bright blue plastic freeze-pop wrapper and was licking it. Then she ran with it hanging from her mouth. I called her but she ignored me, and each time I approached her she playfully ran away. Then she stopped and gobbled it up in two bites! That will become some interesting camouflage.

No comments: