Thursday, April 15, 2010

Dogs Take My Heart

Yesterday I saw a photo of a 100-pound black Labrador in a nearby pound. Her name is Gretch and apparently they have tried to place her three times and she has been returned each time. I could tell she is a good dog, she is four years old, and she just needs a committed owner to give her three miles of walking each day and some boundaries. I urged them to let me help them find an owner. I might contact Elmsford in New York as a back-up. They are the no-kill shelter where I got Lily.

Later in the evening, walking down Edgewater Drive, I met the family who belonged to the puggle that followed me on Friday. I told them the story of how he followed me all the way to Woonsocket and how I was afraid he would get hit by a car, crossing the busy streets. They said he escapes a lot, he flies out the door and then he's gone! They told me he breaks his collar, and the tags fall off. I suggested they get one of those woven collars with the phone number embedded into the design. They loved that idea.

Further on I saw the young golden retriever who Lily has met several times. As we walked by the fence to say hello the dog jumped up and tore at my husband's shirt, mouthed his hand and started to chew at his beard. His yard is full of torn shirts and sneakers, items apparently given to the dog to chew. The dog is already overweight and his behavior is out of control. He just chews and barks and waits for attention, isolated and left outside all day. The owner came out and was proud to say he was going to breed him because he has champion bloodlines. I hate that arrogant breeding business, and the guy obviously just wants to make money off of his dog. Sadly this man is a good example of how humans are descendants of the Neanderthals. This guy doesn't even walk his dog! He hasn't done an ounce of training with this dog and hasn't given him the companionship either. After he is paid for stud service, then will he start training him? He's got it all backwards. And perhaps that is how he runs his whole life. I walk to clear my head but sometimes what I encounter on my walk requires another walk!

No comments: