Friday, April 09, 2010

Tipi

I am not much of a traveler in the tangible sense although I am never NOT traveling in my imagination. Perhaps that is why I prefer to stay close to home. I get vertigo in cars, boats, or airplanes. But I love trains! I probably would love to travel on horseback, but I won't because I can't imagine any animal wanting to carry 130 pounds.

I have always loved spending time in a tipi - I lived in one briefly. For me it's a kind of travel. I have collected tipi-making books and pamphlets for decades. I have a strong cast-iron 1940's Kenmore sewing machine and know of places where I could buy awning canvas to sew one. I even have a scraper my brother gave me for taking the bark off the poles. maybe someday I will set up a small one in the backyard for the dog and cats and kids to play in.

No comments: