Monday, May 27, 2013

Kathryn Harrison

Another thing that was quite mysterious was that time itself seemed to change at the end. I had my father-in-law in my life for 17 years and it was, in a platonic way, pretty much love at first sight. We clicked. We always enjoyed each other. When I came to visit he always beamed at me and I the same with him. And I was with him a lot at the end of his life, and at some point he looked at me and he said, “I’ve always loved you.” And I said, “I loved you even before I met you [laughs].” And we both agreed that that was true and that our understanding in that moment of what we felt for each other was not contained at all by time.
-Kathryn Harrison

. . . one thing that was very strange was that I found it completely possible to understand native speakers speaking quickly. It was my only experience with that in my life. And I’m not going to say that that was because of divine intervention. I think I was just really overwrought and things were going on inside of me for whatever reason and I will leave you to your own conclusions. But I did have this weird vision of my life at that moment. It was sort of analogous to one of those cutaway pictures of a ship where you can see all the cool state rooms and everything. And I had this sense of who I was and this sort of vivisection of me and all the parts of my life and I had this understanding that there wasn’t any problem that I had in my life that was not addressable or perhaps even fixable through love. And so I will say that I believe in the truth of love.
-Kathryn Harrison

source

No comments: