Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Rain-boot Tramp-stamp at Job-lot

I was in the checkout at job-lot and a woman who seemed a bit tipsy was trying on two sets of rain boots, one bright red and the other camouflage greens. She bent over to thrust her foot in the red boot and I saw her tattoo and pink flowery thong poking from her hip-hugger jeans. I was embarrassed for her knowing all of the others on line with their light bulbs, batteries, peanut butter, artificial Christmas trees and neck massagers were getting a peep show. I tried to comfort her with a smile. She stood up.
Which ones do you like? she asked looking right at me.
The red ones, absolutely. I said.
They're not too loud? She asked.
They are the right kind of loud. Adorable! I said.
I wanted to protect her.
She seemed relieved and I was too, when she bought them.

No comments: