Monday, May 27, 2013

Men of Hula

Amazing Independent Lens Documentary: Men of Hula
There were many emotional moments for me in making this film. Following the halau to the volcano when they made their offerings of their lei to the goddess Pele I think was the most moving for me. Because it’s a sacred ritual, Robert had initially told me that he did not want me to film that, and as a hula dancer I understood his reservations, but I have to admit I was extremely disappointed as a filmmaker. Eventually after having spent such a long time following the men leading up to competition, Robert really understood what I was trying to do and that my intentions were pono, or good. He had also seen the trailer we cut for the film and had a better understanding of what I was trying to achieve. When he told me that he had decided to allow me to film at the volcano, I was so thrilled. And truly, it was one of the most beautiful days of shooting I’ve ever experienced. Our crew was also very aware that we were not just shooting any old scene, so when the men took off their shoes to show respect on Pele’s land, so too did we! Auwe (Alas), walking barefoot on lava rock hurt, but I was so filled with awe and wonder that I didn’t care. The whole experience was filled with chicken skin moments from beginning to end: from the rain stopping as the men finished their chants and the sun coming out to the ua koko, or low lying rainbow, that appeared right after. It was such an honor to even be there with all of them, let alone capture the experience on film.
-Lisette Marie Flanary
source

No comments: