Monday, November 03, 2014

A Good Ole Mare

"She's a good ole mare. My daughter had her back when she was a girl. When she left home I kept after Luna. Now she's mine," Jack said.
"Better than keeping a wife." Ralph replied.
"That's true enough. My wife left eight years ago," Jack said.
"Would you gentlemen like some more coffee?" Millie asked.
"Yes please, my dear," Jack replied pushing his mug towards her.
"No thanks, Millie, I've gotta run." Ralph said.
"You boys, always in a hurry," Millie said smiling and turning to the other booth.
"Hey, do you ever hear from that mutt?" Ralph asked standing up, putting on his scarf.
"Which one?" Jack replied
"The Tallinger fellow who sold the hog farm," Ralph reminded him, putting on his thin brown jacket.
"No. And I'm glad," Jack said, emptying two sugar packets into his coffee, stirring it gently. "I think Tallinger is why Jeanette took off."
"Really?" Ralph said, sitting back down. "Excuse me, Millie." Ralph said waving, "I will have that coffee after all."
"That's my boy," Millie said, pouring it to the brim. "Relax, stay a while."
"It's all water under the bridge now. Me and Luna do just fine," Jack said sipping from his mug.
"Do you ever think about going out on a date?" Ralph asked removing his coat.
"A date? I'm too old," Jack stated.
"Na, you're never too old." Ralph said, leaning in.
"I'm a rusting old cowboy. "Jack said, using his knife to scrape grit from under his fingernail.
"You need some steel wool, that's all." Ralph retorted.
"And where the heck do I find that?" Jack asked laughing.
"Right over there," Ralph said, tilting his head toward the waitress behind the turquoise counter.
"How do you want me to slice it, Millie," she asked, holding up a chocolate cheesecake.
"Eight slices, dear, warm the knife, in hot water," Millie replied, flipping through her order pad.
"That's Denise," Ralph said under his breath. "Warm the knife," he whispered.
"In hot water," Jack replied.

No comments: