Monday, November 03, 2014

Walker Evans

Stare. It is the way to educate your eye, and more. Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long.
― Walker Evans

Whether he is an artist or not, the photographer is a joyous sensualist, for the simple reason that the eye traffics in feelings, not in thoughts.
― Walker Evans

I just found that this was my métier and walked blindly into it. That was a good thing because I hadn't had much experience or sophistication or study in the field. Again, I just brought my feelings to it. [...] You know that you're home when you're in the slot that's made for you. A lot of people suffer years trying to find that; it just came to me.
― Walker Evans

A man who has faith, intelligence, and cultivation will show that in his work. Fine photography is literature, and it should be.
― Walker Evans

No comments: