Thursday, December 04, 2014

Community Means. . .

Community means when former students are in a crisis they know where to find me. I am honored that one of my former students ran into me on one of my late night dog walks a few summers ago. After we caught up on news she told me she had been brutally assaulted a year prior and she was "falling apart." I listened and told her we can find her help. I contacted my neighbor who works at The Rape Crisis center and the next day we met with my former student and had a healing pow wow sitting in the gray drizzly cemetery. It was a miracle of healing. Now my former student knew she had two women within a block of her home ready to support her at any moment to heal from this crisis. She is doing really well. She is working two jobs to help support her family while getting her on-line teaching degree. She has received straight A's, been put on the Dean's List and received a financial scholarship! Miracles of healing can happen when we keep our hearts open and really listen.

No comments: