Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Tony Simmons

Homeless Man Encourages Others On The Streets To 'Get Up'
January 28, 20153:24 AM ET

Tony Simmons helps homeless people to get off the streets, which is remarkable because he has been homeless himself. He is the first subject of an occasional series about individuals who do not have much money or power, but do make a big difference.

Tony Simmons is 53, a former Marine, also a former heroin addict and drug runner, in and out of jail. Eventually, he hit rock bottom - homeless, penniless, alienated from family and friends. When we first met two years ago, Simmons said he was afraid he might die, that he had to do something.

"You must start with yourself. Get up, get going, no excuses. That's what I tell myself every morning after prayer 'cause every time I help one person, I get a little part of me back."
- Tony Simmons

"One thing I try not to do is tell them what to do. I just give them the avenues - these are the resources that's out there. Choose something that's right for you, and I will help you navigate through that system."
- Tony Simmons

Article

No comments: