Tuesday, October 06, 2015

A Day in the Life

Whenever life gets tough I reach for May Sarton and Laurie Colwin books. I own three copies of HOME COOKING and JOURNAL of SOLITUDE, scattered about the house for easy reach. These books are more important than band-aids or my police and fire rescue phone numbers.

This morning I woke with a killer headache the kind that is incurable unless I get up and take a hot shower and hope the coffee works otherwise it's time to take antihistamine, Excedrin and decongestant- the arsenal of three and say my prayers because they hit hard and make me nauseous. I usually cut each pill in half and make toast to hold myself together.

This is the most beautiful time of year. I want to be out there breathing the air walking and listening with my dog Lily. Many of us suffer severe allergies in Spring Fall Summer and Winter. The cure is laugh a lot and count your blessings and carry the medicine in your bag. When the pain escalates it is much harder to cure it.

Yesterday walking home from THE CALL I met a woman who was admiring Lily and just lost her job. She was in a panic. We stood in the parking lot of the library and talked about how to attract the right job for her. She worked with disabled adults and suffered a back/hip injury on the job and can't lift or restrain people anymore. Her disability got shut off and now she's worried about making rent and keeping her dog.

Keep your dog, I said.
"I wouldn't give him up for anything" she replied.
Good.
"I'd live in my car with my dog if I had to," she said.
Don't worry, things will work out. I said.

I gave her a few names and contacts. In this City we have over half a dozen organizations that can help in situations like this. Stay in touch and I will get thinking on it too, I said.

How old are you, you look 30. 35, she said.
Don't panic, life begins at 40.

You have huge eyelashes, I said, watching them bob up and down as she spoke. She laughed and said all of her teachers were jealous and threatened to cut them off.
Don't get a job pouring coffee, if you have been working with disabled adults then you have a very special heart. Use it.

No comments: