Tuesday, October 06, 2015

Fish Tank

When I was in 5th grade I got a ten gallon fish tank and a bunch of tropical fish with live plants. At night I would turn off all of the lights except for the tank light and sit mesmerized for hours watching the fish swim. I made arty collage back drops. On Saturday mornings I would clean the filter and scrape the algae off the glass with a razor blade. My tank had catfish, kissing fish, neon tetras, and guppies. The tank calmed and soothed me.

I've decided to set up a fish tank again. I've been thinking about it for 15 years. It's time! My friend Craig who has many fish tanks, has offered to give me an extra one he isn't using. My sister in law has also offered to chip in unused tank supplies. I can't wait. Yesterday I went to see the fish I might get, at OCEANS of PETS on Diamond Hill Road. I fell in love with the LOVE BIRDS but my house is 45 degrees in winter, too cold for love birds.

In a few years after we fix the roof and plumbing, we will install a wood stove in the office so I can bake and cook on it and keep warm. The animals (and I) will be so happy to be able to have a warm place to be.

No comments: