Monday, October 26, 2015

Pear Tree

We went to get the pears from Billy's tree. He told us we could. When we showed up with our boxes and picker we saw that the ground had been raked. The remaining pears were hanging on the tree. Two shiny black cars were parked directly underneath. We stood there for a moment. A voice from the window said "Can I help you?"I saw a large woman's face filling the window. "Billy told us to come help ourselves the pears." I replied. She was blank like she didn't know who I was talking about even though Billy is her brother. "I don't want the pears to hit my car. I paid 40 thousand dollars for that car," she said. "I don't want them to hit your car either, no matter what kind of car," I said.
"Let's go," I said to my husband. "We can ask Robin since she offered us pears too and there's a lot of pears on her side of the tree. I was relieved to be away from the large woman in the window. We brought our boxes and picker home. "Let's just have a long walk, I'm in a terrible mood," I said. We walked out to Harris pond admiring the orange trees. We ran into Sarah decorating her porch. She was wearing a purple shirt. We stood in the road as the sun was setting over the water. We had a few laughs about the big scary spiders decorating the neighbor's houses. Then we walked home in the dark. My flashlight was dangling a small beam of light from my lanyard as I walked it bounced off the sidewalk. I felt much better.

No comments: