Friday, January 27, 2017

Passport to Hell

I could move away but that would mean giving up my life to the despot. I've already done that before. But Just in case I should get a passport. Staying here is the passport to hell.

He started writing poems while in high school in Chicago, in part, he said, to impress girls. He published his first poems in The Chicago Review when he was 21.

Mr. Simic said his chief poetic preoccupation has been history. “I’m sort of the product of history; Hitler and Stalin were my travel agents,” he said. “If they weren’t around, I probably would have stayed on the same street where I was born. My family, like millions of others, had to pack up and go, so that has always interested me tremendously: human tragedy and human vileness and stupidity.”

Favorite Poet, Charles Simic

No comments: