Friday, March 17, 2017

C Kelly Smith

Worked all day (productive!), supervised two of my students after work, and am finally thinking about dinner. I feel so fortunate to have found a healthy balance between my profession (social work) and its expression in the world. Teaching and mentoring SW students keeps me in touch with my ethics and theories of practice. Working in public health keeps me engaged with monitoring how these values and practice methods play out in the real world-- how people's lives can be shaped or changed by what we do to protect and advocate for them (and with them). Meanwhile, I have the opportunity to "be the change [I] wish to see in this world" (toth, M Gandhi). My students are wondering what kinds of things they will be able to accomplish as their careers unfold. But my cats are now waiting patiently for me to simply feed them.
-C Kelly Smith

No comments: