Monday, July 10, 2017

First Meal

The first time I invited my now-husband to my apartment was 32 years ago. I was 24 years old and had been working as a prep chef at the famous Leo's on Chestnut Street in downtown Providence.

I was living on the top floor of a gorgeous triple-decker on Oakland Ave. It was like a 1940's stage set.

At the time I had been learning all kinds of things from watching the chefs at the restaurant. I decided to make lemon sesame chicken using garlic, fresh lemon juice, and tahini.

I made the marinade and the chicken stayed in it for two nights in the fridge. When it was time to take the chicken out and bake it, I decided that the marinade was too good to throw out so I baked the chicken in it.

I preheated my little white gas oven and I filled an oblong Pyrex dish with the chicken and marinade. I baked it for 25 minutes. Upon taking my first bite I realized I had made a huge mistake. It tasted like Mr. Clean. I was horrified but my husband was a good sport and he ate it anyway and we're still together.

No comments: