Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Quality of its Ideas

“There is, on the whole, nothing on earth intended for innocent people so horrible as a school. To begin with, it is a prison. But in some respects more cruel than a prison. In a prison, for instance, you are not forced to read books written by the warders and the governor. . . .In the prison you are not forced to sit listening to turnkeys discoursing without charm or interest on subjects that they don't understand and don't care about, and therefore incapable of making you understand or care about. In a prison they may torture your body; but they do not torture your brains.”
― George Bernard Shaw, Misalliance

“Oh, well, if you want original conversations, you'd better go and talk to yourself.”
― George Bernard Shaw, Candida

“The quality of a play is the quality of its ideas.”
― George Bernard Shaw

“I'm one of the undeserving poor: that's what I am. Think of what that means to a man. It means that he's up against middle class morality all the time. If there's anything going, and I put in for a bit of it, it's always the same story: "You're undeserving; so you can't have it." Buy my needs is as great as the most deserving widow's that ever got money out of six different charities in one week for the death of the same husband. I don't need less than a deserving man: I need more. I don't eat less hearty than him; and I drink a lot more. I want a bit of amusement, cause I'm a thinking man. I want cheerfulness and a song and a band when I feel low. Well, they charge me just the same for everything as they charge the deserving. What is middle class morality? Just an excuse for never giving me anything.”
― George Bernard Shaw, Pygmalion

“Nobody could stand an eternity of Heaven.”
― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

“Nothing but the natural ignorance of the public, countenanced by the inoculated erroneousness of the ordinary general medical practitioners, makes such a barbarism as vaccination possible.......Recent developments have shown that an inoculation made in the usual general practitioner's light-hearted way, without previous highly skilled examination of the state of the patient's blood, is just as likely to be a simple manslaughter as a cure or preventive. But vaccination is nothing short of attempted murder. A skilled bacteriologist would just as soon think of cutting his child's arm and rubbing the contents of the dustpan into the wound, as vaccinating it in the same.”
― George Bernard Shaw

“If you begin by sacrificing yourself to those you love, you will end by hating those to whom you have sacrificed yourself.”
― George Bernard Shaw, Maxims for Revolutionists

“We are all savages.”
― George Bernard Shaw, Pygmalion

“My method is to take the utmost trouble to find the right thing to say, and then to say it with the utmost levity.”
― George Bernard Shaw

No comments: