Thursday, June 07, 2018

This Morning

This morning on my downtown walk with Romeo, I noticed a man passed out below the SPEEDWAY sign. His head and torso were on the raised island of mulch and his legs were draped across the sidewalk. He was facing up and his left hand was slightly open. Two scruffy guys, were standing right beside him talking to each other as if this was normal. I watched cars speeding by, even an ambulance passed but nobody stopped. As I walked I wondered what to do. Then I spotted a woman on her way to work at the health center. "Excuse me, do you have a phone? Could you call an ambulance? There's a man passed out under the SPEEDWAY gas station sign. You can see him from here," I said, pointing down the street. "Those are his legs draped across the sidewalk."
"Yes, absolutely, I can do that!" she said. I turned at the corner and started walking up my street. Two minutes later the ambulance and fire truck with sirens blaring, zoomed by.

No comments: