Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Chanel Miller

Miller tells PEOPLE, “While writing Know My Name, I was constantly drawing as a way of letting my mind breathe, reminding myself that life is playful and imaginative. We all deserve a chance to define ourselves, shape our identities, and tell our stories. The film crew that worked on this piece was almost all women. Feeling their support and creating together was immensely healing. We should all be creating space for survivors to speak their truths and express themselves freely. When society nourishes instead of blames, books are written, art is made, and the world is a little better for it.”

In the years since the assault, Miller says she worked on her book and rediscovered a sense of self-worth Turner took from her.

“I was slowly teaching myself self-compassion again,” she told PEOPLE in an exclusive interview. “And yeah, realizing that I deserved to be treated much better.”

She added, “I thought I deserved time to cultivate myself and figure that out for myself before I could present myself to other people.”

No comments: