Saturday, September 19, 2020

The Checkup

 Today was our first visit during the pandemic to the vet. We were there for Romeo's checkup and Lyme shot and Heartworm/Lyme test.

 It was strange to sit in the parking lot next to the building and call the office. The vet tech said she would be out in a few minutes to get Romeo.

We noticed a big purple Wrangler Jeep parked next to us with three people inside. The masked male vet tech wearing maroon scrubs and a bun approached their car. A woman in the back seat got out and handed over their elderly black and white Chihuahua with a gray snout. The dog was on a pillow wrapped in a magenta blanket. The purple Jeep woman pet and kissed the dog on top of his head. I had a feeling this was a final goodbye.

Twenty minutes later the vet tech came out to get the family, and they filed into the vet hospital wearing masks. Then 20 minutes later they returned. The woman was weeping. I wanted to run up to her and tell her, "I've been there, you will heal and I hope you adopt another dog." But I didn't, I just wished her well in my thoughts.

Then a different vet tech came to get Romeo. I was afraid Romeo would think we were giving him away. Twenty minutes later the vet spoke to us over the phone, Romeo had passed with flying colors. I went out to greet him. When he got back in the car we decided to drive down the road to the Tiverton town beach where he had his first sniff of salt water. He slept the whole way home. When we arrived at the house it was my turn to sleep.

No comments: