Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Any artist who respects himself ought to be, and in every sense of the term, an emigre.

 ― Witold Gombrowicz

“Great! I've written something stupid, but I haven't signed a contract with anyone to produce solely wise and perfect works. I gave vent to my stupidity...and here I am, reborn.”
Witold Gombrowicz, Ferdydurke 

“I became bold because I had absolutely nothing to lose: neither honors, nor earnings, nor friends. I had to find myself anew and rely only on myself, because I could rely on no one else. My form is my solitude.”
Witold Gombrowicz 

“To contradict, even in little matters, is the supreme necessity of art today. ”
Witold Gombrowicz, A Kind of Testament 

“Serious literature does not exist to make life easy but to complicate it.”
Witold Gombrowicz

“Man is profoundly dependent on the reflection of himself in another man's soul, be it even the soul of an idiot.”
Witold Gombrowicz, Ferdydurke

No comments: