Monday, December 26, 2022

Develop an interest in life as you see it: Henry Miller

Develop an interest in life as you see it; the people, things, literature, music — the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself.  Henry Miller

A book lying idle on a shelf is wasted ammunition. Like money, books must be kept in constant circulation... A book is not only a friend, it makes friends for you. When you have possessed a book with mind and spirit, you are enriched. But when you pass it on you are enriched threefold.

Henry Miller, The Books in My Life

I need to be alone. I need to ponder my shame and my despair in seclusion; I need the sunshine and the paving stones of the streets without companions, without conversation, face to face with myself, with only the music of my heart for company.

Henry Miller, Tropic of Cancer

Everyone has his own reality in which, if one is not too cautious, timid or frightened, one swims. This is the only reality there is.

Henry Miller, Stand Still Like the Hummingbird

Imagination is the voice of daring. If there is anything godlike about God, it is that. He dared to imagine everything.

Henry Miller, Sexus

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

Henry Miller, Tropic of Cancer

When you surrender, the problem ceases to exist. Try to solve it, or conquer it, and you only set up more resistance. I am very certain now that, as I said therein, if I truly become what I wish to be, the burden will fall away. The most difficult thing to admit, and to realize with one’s whole being, is that you alone control nothing.

Henry Miller, A Literate Passion: Letters of Anaïs Nin Henry Miller, 1932-1953

If we are always arriving and departing, it is also true that we are eternally anchored. One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things.

Henry Miller, Big Sur and the Oranges of Hieronymus Bosch

If I were reading a book and happened to strike a wonderful passage I would close the book then and there and go for a walk. I hated the thought of coming to the end of a good book. I would tease it along, delay the inevitable as long as possible, But always, when I hit a great passage, I would stop reading immediately. Out I would go, rain, hail, snow or ice, and chew the cud.

Henry Miller, Plexus

 The man who is forever disturbed about the condition of humanity either has no problems of his own or has refused to face them.

Henry Miller, Sexus

No comments: