Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Punishment

Howard Hughes saved his urine and fingernail clippings. The reason why I know this is that in fifth grade I was talking during current-events class, and as a punishment my teacher assigned me a big report on Howard Hughes.

Don't you think it's funny that teachers and governments turn good things into punishment, like book reports and community service? Wouldn't punishment be more effective if it involved something disgusting, like washing garbage cans or cleaning cat boxes? We should teach kids to love learning and community service, not punish them with it.

1 comment:

Rachel Nguyen said...

I decided at one point that my punishment for my kids is to threaten to make them watch tv.

As in:

'If you guys don't knock it off, I am turning the tv on!'

It usually meets with cries of

'No, no, don't make us watch tv!'

That isn't to say they don't love to watch it, but usually whatever they are doing that is driving me crazy is way more fun that sitting in front of the tube.