Saturday, December 09, 2006

Borrow A Dog

Don't watch the TV news, it makes the world seem really dangerous. Instead, adopt a dog (or borrow a dog who has overworked parents) and walk all over your town with it. You will be amazed at what you discover, and as exercise it's more fun than going to the gym! Find out what's REALLY going on in your town. For instance, this morning I saw a crew of people at the church standing in line to get free groceries from the food bank. It was like in those Walker Evans photos of the great depression.

It makes me wish I could teach home economics - how to feed and care for yourself economically. I would want to do this at the public library. If the schools aren't teaching this, the libraries should. A great thing to do, if I ever become rich, would be to give my money to my library so they could add a gym and a kitchen and a music room! In our town the public library is like the town's living room. Most kids from the high school and junior high walk there and do their homework after school. It's really cool.

No comments: