Saturday, December 09, 2006

Dented Vegetables

I call the bargain produce at the supermarket the dented vegetables. I've transcended the shame! Last week I found four huge bell peppers and two cubanello peppers for cheap. It must be the spirits of my grandparents hovering over the dented vegetable cart, making sure I get my vitamin C!

I sauteed the chopped peppers in my gigantic cast-iron skillet with chopped onions in Job Lot olive oil and added crushed red chili-pepper flakes and Cholula hot sauce (which we now buy in beer-sized bottles, by the case!! hot stuff!!) then . . . are you still with me? I toasted slices of my sourdough multi-grain bread with oven-toasted sunflower seeds, and dipped it in and scooped up the peppers and onions . . . recalling the San Gennaro street fairs of my NYC childhood. Hallelujah!! Food is good!

No comments: