Saturday, December 09, 2006

Suicide

My husband read in the paper today that a man jumped off the Court Street bridge to his death. This is the bridge Honey and I walk over almost daily, passing the shoemaker and the bakery. It turns out that the man who jumped lived on our street only a few houses away. He was reported missing last Friday and his body was discovered Tuesday by someone crossing the bridge. They must have looked over and seen the body. Oh how horrible! When I went by, I looked over, imagining the leap. The water is only four inches deep. There's a bunch of guys doing construction work right there. He must have jumped in the night. My first boyfriend jumped off a building to his death on an asphalt parking lot one Christmas eve. This is a very hard time of year for people. For some, it's a time to remember childhood trauma, for others it's the depression from short daylight hours. Check on your people, bring them cookies.

3 comments:

Rachel Nguyen said...

This is terrible, Emily.

I'll keep that guy in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Life and death on the Blackstone. A very old and familiar story. Thanks for sharing this, Emily. Joe.

Anonymous said...

A good reminder; to check in on your people. some people are sadder than you think.