Wednesday, March 18, 2009

On The Path

Yesterday we saw an old man and his dog. His dog was leashed with a very long piece of clothesline rope and they walked very slowly across the soccer field, sitting down to take breaks. The man was elderly and his back was quite hunched. His dog looked like a red fox! He said it was part Basenji and that he had adopted him three years ago from the Animal Rescue League in Providence. I told him my first dog was adopted from there, thirty years ago. Our dogs met and played and I told him about the red fox I saw the day before. We talked about the idea of a dog park. He was kind and had an eccentric laugh.

Today Lily found a four inch gigantic dog biscuit in the bushes in front of the Violet Berard Center on Cumberland Hill road. How often does that happen! When we got to the recreation center I decided to pick up a trashed plastic Dunkin' Donuts coffee cup I have passed about 64 times! Then I got on a roll! Next thing I knew I had filled two plastic bags with trash. There were six beer cans at the waterfall so I scooped them and then the waterfall area was gorgeous again. I'm hoping a little bit of clean up will discourage people from littering easily. At least I won't have to pass those same beer cans tomorrow!

On the bike path Lily and I met a tall man with a tiny pug! Lily was all excited to play and they did for a moment. I spoke to the owner about a dog park. So far every dog owner I meet loves the idea!

At the entrance to the wooded area of the bike path I spotted a blue tennis ball, so Lily and I turned around and went back to play fetch on the soccer field. I left Lily's green leash on her while she ran just in case it would help me catch her if she strayed. She went wild with joy running in large clockwise circles. I gave her a treat each time she came back with the ball which was five consecutive times, a record for her! Then on the sixth throw she ignored the ball and remembered the goose poop, but I caught her just in time!

No comments: