Thursday, December 06, 2012

Stephen King

I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and fries.
-Stephen King

People want to know why I do this, why I write such gross stuff. I like to tell them I have the heart of a small boy... and I keep it in a jar on my desk.
-Stephen King

Fiction is the truth inside the lie.
-Stephen King

You can't deny laughter; when it comes, it plops down in your favorite chair and stays as long as it wants.
-Stephen King

I was in enough to get along with people. I was never socially inarticulate. Not a loner. And that saved my life, saved my sanity. That and the writing. But to this day I distrust anybody who thought school was a good time. Anybody.
-Stephen King

No, it's not a very good story - its author was too busy listening to other voices to listen as closely as he should have to the one coming from inside.
-Stephen King

Americans are apocalyptic by nature. The reason why is that we've always had so much, so we live in deadly fear that people are going to take it away from us.
-Stephen King

When asked, "How do you write?" I invariably answer, "one word at a time."
-Stephen King

Wherever you write is supposed to be a little bit of a refuge, a place where you can get away from the world. The more closed in you are, the more you're forced back on your own imagination.
-Stephen King

Like anything else that happens on its own, the act of writing is beyond currency. Money is great stuff to have, but when it comes to the act of creation, the best thing is not to think of money too much. It constipates the whole process.
-Stephen King

We've switched from a culture that was interested in manufacturing, economics, politics - trying to play a serious part in the world - to a culture that's really entertainment-based.
-Stephen King

You cannot hope to sweep someone else away by the force of your writing until it has been done to you.
-Stephen King

We're news junkies in my house.
-Stephen King

If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot.
-Stephen King

Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

No comments: