Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Gregg Mazel

Gregg is my saxophone teacher and when he writes to me I insist they are poems. With his permission They are posted here.

Life is Full of Miscues
by Gregg Mazel

Try not to stress over these people and situations.
Life is full of miscues.
Losing a Tuba player in the middle of Rhode Island is actually pretty funny.
One of the biggest horns gets lost in the littlest state...
Once in RI my baritone sax player/singer Tommy Mahfood (The Shah) called us on the road to our gig.
His truck "the Camel" broke down on the way to the wedding.
Since he had all the gear for the band, the bridal party had to wait for the PA.
We ended up serenading them acoustically for an hour with guitar and sax.
They seemed to enjoy the music. The funniest part was when Tommy came in later with black oil all over his hands from fixing the Camel!
We'll all laugh about this well into the future.

Another Poem
by Gregg Mazel

I love teaching.
I love swimming.
I love music.

Interesting you say "have", like it was a baby.
Me too.

I would like one day to have a baby radio station or
a circus without an elephant or a horse.
Then I would try learning to scale a tall pole, swing on a rope,
and eject myself from a cannon,
sometimes,
into a pool filled with mandarin orange or flesh colored jello molds of pretty females
like the one I saw at RISD
many years ago
on a rolly cart,
the art observers all smiling giggling,
gently moving the cart
back and forth
to watch
the jello art.

No comments: