Sunday, May 10, 2015

A Two-Timing Marinade


My dream to be a modern day MFK Fisher.... seems possible with this story.

I love marinades because while I am sleeping my food is accomplishing great things.

Last night I made a fresh garlic, fresh ginger, olive oil, Adobo, balsamic vinegar, salt, sugar, marinade for Jamie Sullivan's fresh center cut pork chops (on sale!) and refrigerated it. When I got up at 6 I shook the container a few times and put it back in the fridge.

Then this afternoon I got an idea.

I chopped 6 pounds of red potatoes into cubes (like I usually do for German Potato Salad I make in the pressure cooker) This time I added the leftover raw pork chop marinade and some more water, vinegar, and mustard and pressure cooked this with the potatoes onions and celery. For food safety reasons it is VERY VERY VERY important to cook a marinade to boiling point for at least 3 minutes, if you plan to reuse it. I pressure cooked the raw potatoes with chopped celery and chopped onions and the pork chop marinade for 5 minutes.

Fantastic! The pint of potato salad marinade liquid leftover is fabulous as a soup.

No comments: