Tuesday, June 09, 2015

Esther Sperber

I love that psychoanalysis is a frame through which I have permission to pay close attention to peripheral vision, to things that are out of focus and not so conscious. Enigmatic dreams, childhood memories and mourning are all welcome, and they open me to my own feelings and to a wider range of human experiences.

As an architect, I try to notice the sequence of spaces that we move through as we enter and leave a building. My task is to create spaces for various functions, and I achieve this by designing the walls and facades that make these activities possible. By designing exteriors, we create interiors. Architecture is a meditation on entering and exiting: It articulates the frames that contain our lives.

Perhaps life itself is a bit like architecture, and a bit like the therapeutic frame: a zone of experiences between an unknown beginning and an unimaginable end.
Article

No comments: