Tuesday, June 09, 2015

Head Full of Monkeys or Some Good Days Start out This Way

When I have a head full of monkeys, I told him, I have to remind myself that some good days start out this way. He loved that. Do you keep a schedule, he asked, because I panic if have too much unscheduled time, he admitted. Not a schedule but a routine because a routine is grounding, a comfort. I get up and make coffee I go to my desk and write and read. Then I have to force myself to take a shower and change my clothes so I can walk downtown and feel presentable. It's a public performance since people see me and want to come up and say 'hi' but really I've discovered that a shower and a clean shirt and a walk downtown with my dog, does wonders to connect me with the 'now' rather than continue to get sucked into listening to the tornado of monkeys in my head. My husband tells me "Use your other resources beyond your mood," I try to exercise my powers of observation, using my eyes, ears and nose. I write, I paint, I walk.

No comments: