Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Home Made Granola: Bake the House Warm

Sensory is the sign of TRANSMIT MODE. I am listening to Albert King and when I walked through the kitchen to let Lily out I found myself baking my 12 inch cast iron skillet of granola. I would love to teach the NEIGHBORWORKS community building kids how to do this. We can get 100 pound bags of oats and molasses, corn oil and vanilla for next to nothing wholesale at JAR Baker's Supply in Lincoln RI. It is healthy and smells great too. See my Guru Nola recipe on my food blog: The Insomniacs Kitchen

Guru-Nola
Reposted from
Wednesday, April 30, 2014
Taste Memory
I just realized that my molasses granola is triggering a taste memory from childhood; Cracker Jax. Cracker Jax had molasses.

My granola recipe:

1 cup of corn oil
1 cup of Grandma's Molasses,
1 container of Old Fashioned Oats (measured as 42 OZ, or 2 LB 10 OZ or 1.19 kg)
1 teaspoon of real vanilla
1 rounded teaspoon of kosher salt.

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. In a big pot heat the oil, molasses, vanilla, and salt, stirring gently. When bubbly add the oats, stirring madly. When the goop is distributed over the oats pour the granola onto two trays. I use cast iron frying pans and I bake them at 300 degrees. Once the oats start to toast I stir them every 5-10 minutes. I use a timer because the browning happens fast. Then, when lightly toasted I let the oats cool off before I store them in sealed jars. Allow 35 minutes to an hour of baking time.

Lately I bake at 225 so I can keep working a my desk and it doesn't burn as easily.

No comments: