Friday, February 26, 2016

Letter to Young Friend


It takes a village! We are thinking of you. On my walk yesterday I was contemplating what might be helpful for you. I chatted with Bill. What advice can I offer you? God knows I wished that I someone had good advice for me when I was in my 20's.

Everything will get better especially if you write a journal and take a walk each day.

I know it sounds so simple and a bit doofy but TRUST ME! These activities are MAGIC. and they form a routine which is COMFORTING. This is what we all need! You your baby, your husband your mothers, your tarantula. COMFORT and LOVE and KINDNESS makes the world go round.

Kindness to yourself spills over to the world. WOMEN ROCK the WORLD. (laugh) MOTHER EARTH. Your self love baby love husband love is a circle.

Do you have favorite spiritual writer. Quotes to google yourself into a googly groovy day? The Dali Lama? Buddha? Ram Dass? Thich Nhat Hahn? Those are mine.

Diary of your baby is a great idea!!! Do it for YOU.

Remember it takes a VILLAGE. Don't isolate yourself for the whole day get out for at least ten minutes but more is better. A local park or just a regular walk down the street will build routine and community. I walk downtown each day to the post office police station library and now I know everyone. Sidewalk friends are the best. They never judge you and you never judge them. They are the best antidepressant I know!

I try to write first because morning thoughts are THE BEST, half the time. I grab my journal and scribble dreams wishes angers. The spittoon is my BEST FRIEND. When I am blue I cannot face words. My head is NOISY and so I FORCE myself into the shower and get walking first and it helps. I write later in the day at those times. But I don't abandon the notebook. It is MY BEST FRIEND. Routine is freeing but allow flexibility. No need to be cruel to yourself. Habit is the muse!

Try this too. Every morning after Bill leaves at 5:30 AM, I have a sip of coffee and play the radio WCRB FM classical music, or public radio WBUR WGBH talk. It helps me feel connected to the bigger universe and the intelligent discussions are like ViTAMINS. (laugh) Sometimes I play the French radio classical station. RADIO CLASSIQUE! Or the POLICE RADIO.

I take a shower before I set out to walk (noonish in winter earlier if necessary) because facing the world with clean hair and clean clothes and LIPSTICK makes me feel BEAUTIFUL (laugh) and helps conquer depression. I understand that the "public self" is a stage performance. Not that I am inauthentic but I am ready for the world. Just like one gets ready for school or job. THIS is your "job" this is your life at the moment, so TRY to get COZY and learn to enjoy the benefits. Does any of this make any sense. (laugh) If not I apologize.

My GODFATHER said this to me and I finally understand it:
The way we look out at the world is the way the world looks out at us.

And EVERY TRAUMA has an inner GIFT: DEMAND YOUR GIFT! (laugh)

Keep writing darling even if it is long letters via email. Writing is healing!!

Sending Love, and healing. You are a smart cookie! I have TOTAL FAITH in YOU!!!

Hugs,

Emily

No comments: