Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Biscotti di Vino - Wine Biscotti

Biscotti di Vino - Wine Biscotti
These are my favorite cookie because they are not too sweet, and perfect with a cup of hot English tea. I am allergic to wine but I love to cook with it!

I first found this recipe in my favorite cookbook We Called it Macaroni by Nancy Verde Barr, published by Alfred Knopf. The recipe has also appeared in Gourmet magazine.

In a large bowl combine the 4 cups of the flour, the sugar, the salt, and the baking powder and make a well in the center. Pour in the oil and the wine, combine the mixture, incorporating the flour mixture gradually, until it forms a soft dough, and knead in enough of the remaining 1/2 cup flour to keep the dough from sticking. Divide the dough into 40 pieces, roll each piece into a 5-inch rope, curl the ends and form them into hearts. Bake the hearts slightly apart on baking sheets in preheated 350F oven for 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to 300F and bake the biscuits for 15 to 20 minutes or until they are golden. Let the biscuits cool on racks and store them in airtight containers. Makes 40 biscotti.

The flavor blooms and develops over the week.

I make these with Carlo Rossi Chianti or cheap port, Marsala, or any strong, sweet red wine left at our house.

I like to use corn oil in the recipe, and white or sometimes even whole wheat flour. I also shape the cookies into hearts sometimes.

Sometimes rather than shape the dough into ropes I flatten the dough with my rolling pin and, since the dough is very crumbly, I also press down on the dough with my hands. Then I use a small scalloped-shaped cookie cutter to shape the cookies. I transfer them to cast iron skillets and bake them. The heavy iron pans serve as baking stones, regulating the heat. Shapes change the flavor. The ropes shape with white flour and Chianti have the most surface area and taste the best.

4 cups flour (keep ½ on hand just in case)
¾ cup sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt (more if using whole wheat flour)
1 tablespoon double-acting baking powder
1 cup vegetable oil (I use corn oil)
1 cup full-bodied red wine; Carlo Rossi Chianti (or port or Marsala wine when using whole wheat flor)

No comments: