Sunday, June 18, 2017

Within the Shadow of Failure

“I work continuously within the shadow of failure. For every novel that makes it to my publisher’s desk, there are at least five or six that died on the way.”
- Gail

“There are two kinds of people. One kind, you can just tell by looking at them at what point they congealed into their final selves. It might be a very nice self, but you know you can expect no more surprises from it. Whereas, the other kind keep moving, changing... They are fluid. They keep moving forward and making new trysts with life, and the motion of it keeps them young. In my opinion, they are the only people who are still alive. You must be constantly on your guard against congealing.”
― Gail Godwin

“Good teaching is one-fourth preparation and three-fourths pure theater.”
― Gail Godwin

“How easy it was to make people happy, when you didn't want or need anything from them.”
― Gail Godwin

“The more you respect and focus on the singular and the strange, the more you become aware of the universal and infinite.”
― Gail Godwin

“When I was in seminary," Father Edward had told other guests around the table when he was purchasing his books, "my spiritual director told me not to read theology. 'Read novels,' he said, and I have.”
― Gail Godwin, Publishing: A Writer’s Memoir

“As a teacher, Kurt Vonnegut was easy, magnanimous. He didn't try to make his students into little Kurt Vonneguts. He respected material unlike his own and was startlingly humble about what he did. ("I write with a big black crayon," he would write to me later, "while you're more of an impressionist. I don't think you have it in you to be crude.") In his workshop sessions, things always seemed a little looser, a little kinder, a little funnier.”
― Gail Godwin, Publishing: A Writer’s Memoir

No comments: