Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Cast Iron Stories

Becky Fajkowski, 74, San Francisco

“I found it under the sink of this really cool apartment on Sage Road in Houston. The girl who moved out was named Tuesday (or Wednesday), back in the early ’70s. Still have it.”

Daniel Kelly, 37, London

“Years ago, I used the cast iron to make an apple tart for a Friendsgiving. When I left the party with some friends, I brought the pan with me as we headed back home on public transit. We got sidetracked along the way, and I ended up sneaking a 12-inch frying pan into a strip bar (Jumbo’s Clown Room, to be precise).”

Deborah Dimitrov, 68, Thornhill, B.C.

“I found my cast-iron fry pan in a deserted trappers cabin in the wilderness in northern British Columbia. The man who owned the cabin told me to take it. I can barely lift it now, but this pan will cook anything. If I could thank someone for it, I would do so gratefully. When it’s time to hang this pan up for the last time, I will pass it on to someone else who will appreciate it the same way I do. Anything this useful, resilient, old and well-made is meant to be passed on to others and shared. No one person should ever be the sole owner!”

 Article

No comments: