Thursday, April 15, 2021

My Version of German Potato Salad

I just made my interpretation of German Potato salad in the 10 quart Instant Pot. I've made it in the stove-top cooker for 42 years. The recipe came with my original Presto Pressure Cooker that I purchased in 1980. It was my first kitchen tool when I lived on my own.

Today I chopped a whole bag 5 pounds of red potatoes (yellow ones and white ones are good too), a full bunch of celery (you can even use more I have sometimes used a bunch and a half) and a gigantic white onion. I added 1/2 cup red wine vinegar 1/2 cup olive oil, 1 cup water, 1 tablespoon of kosher salt and  one tablespoon of sugar and 1 Tablespoon of Gulden's mustard and a squirt or two of Sriracha hot sauce (optional). I mixed the sauce (taste tested it) and then poured it over the potatoes celery and onions. 

I set the Instant pot to high pressure for 4 minutes and then gave it an instant release (with a kitchen towel draped over the vent pipe). I scooped everything out into a few shallow containers placed in front of the kitchen fan for rapid cooling.

Don't be deceived if you taste it while it's hot because the true in depth flavor comes out as it cools off. The vinegar is cooked in! The liquid at the bottom of the cooker has lots of flavor too so be sure to mix it into the potatoes.

No comments: