Saturday, November 11, 2006

Pet a Calf

There's nothing like petting the large furry curved jawbone of a calf. I was petting the calf, scratching her jaw bone and rubbing her snout. I loved how easily her tongue slips into her nostrils. I think cows have beautiful nostril shapes. A bunch of these young Holsteins have black freckles on their pink noses. This one was lifting her head and looking at me with her gigantic eyeballs. The dairy farm is three miles from my very urban neighborhood. Sometimes I walk there. When I see the calves I try to imagine what it must be like to hobble around on what looks like furniture legs with cloven hooves. I would love to have a pet cow in my urban backyard.

1 comment:

Rachel Nguyen said...

I miss farm animals.

When I was a kid, some of the most sacred moments of my life were spend communing with the sheep in their barn. And I loved our cows. Once, when I hanging out in the field barefoot, Sapphire stepped on my foot, which happened to have just accidentally stepped on a big cow pancake, so the shit oozed up through my toes with a ton of cow leg pressing down on my foot. It was gooey and it hurt and was stinky, but I laughed and laughed as I tried to push her off me.

We used to use horse pucky as weapons, especially in the winter. We would pick it up and hurl it at each other in lieu of snowballs.