Saturday, November 04, 2006

Polka Fans

Last night at the jam my elderly sax-playing pal Dick brought his mp3 player and headphones, and we squirreled away into the cute chilly kitchen of the bar to listen to his polka band's tunes from 20 years ago! I had the headphones on and was beaming as he sampled the collection for me. My face started to get sore from grinning. This is the happiest music in the world I said, probably speaking way too loud because my ears were covered. I can't listen to this music before bed or I won't sleep. I'll dance all night! He giggled. Dick is an engineer and was, among other things, responsible for engineering Mr. Potato Head. Is that cool or what? He worked for Hasbro and on weekends had a polka band called The Happy Bachelors. I think he was as surprised as I was to find a devoted polka fan at a blues jam. You just never know!

No comments: